Memorial Day and More!

Yippee! Another Friday down and just a few left until summer! We can do this! Welcome to another Five for Friday link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching!



The first thing you may notice is that my blog got a huge makeover! I was beyond excited to see it go live yesterday! The whole process was much faster than I ever thought possible... thanks to my amazing blog designer, Kassie at Designs by Kassie

 I'll be working on a little celebration post once school is out!

The Brainstormers came to visit our school! Students write creative stories and the Brainstormers group turn it into a play and act it out. One of my student's stories was featured. We were all surprised so it was REALLY exciting!


Her hilarious story was called Dad and the Big Bad Bees! It was actually a personal narrative about hero Dad saving the day when a bee was stuck in her bathing suit! 
We laughed until we cried.


I finished up the very last of the DRA tests for the year! Many of my students were tested at a level 40- which is good and bad. Good for growth in reading, but bad because they had several pages of summarizing and written responses to complete. It took FOREVER to get through all 28 students.



The big question during testing time is what are the rest of the students doing? Well, they read a collection of magazines and it kept them engaged and quiet. I used to love Highlights as a kid. Do you remember them?


  They also worked on this close read activity by Primarily Speaking all by themselves.

Tornadoes are so fascinating to learn about. 
The class loved it! 
The grand finale this week was learning about the true meaning of Memorial Day and showing our patriotism! We listened to patriotic songs, watched  educational videos, read a Scholastic News Magazine about Betsy Ross and made these windsocks!

To make the windsock project, just take one large piece of construction and glue a half sheet on top of it. My teaching partner traced some stars on a master and photocopied them. To make it more educational, I whipped up some vocabulary words, so we also had a good lesson on these terms. 


Before rolling and stapling, we glued some streamers to the back. They went home with a piece of yarn attached at the top on opposite sides of the tube. 

Maybe you can use this project idea for Tuesday or even save it in your files or Pinterest Board for next year!
 You can click {here} to download and print the words if you like.

 Do you have some exciting plans for the holiday weekend? I am looking forward to getting a few things done like a hair appointment, planting flowers and other important things like shopping for end of the year stuff. Sometimes it's good to stay around home too!
Whatever your plans may be for the holiday weekend, I hope it is a GREAT one!

Head on over to Doodle Bugs to read what other bloggers are sharing!

4 comments:

  1. I love that windsock! I just pinned it so I don't ever forget about it. So cute and so fun! Your students are rocking their close reading skills!! Yay! :)

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog design is beautiful! I love the bright colors and the blue background. I agree that it's good to stay around at home too during holiday weekends, I'll be doing the same and am looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy it!

    Jayme
    Teach Talk Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeannine,

    I love your blog and I am glad I discovered it! I nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can read about it on my blog here: http://smilesnstyle.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!

    Megan
    Smiles in Style

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...