Bloggy Blurbs from A-Z and a Freebie!

Hi Friends! Welcome to my new blogging mini-series! Boy, time just always gets away from me especially when school is in session. There are SO many things I want to share with you on this little old blog of mine that I never quite got around to posting! Join me for the remaining days of my summer vacation time and into the fall for some bloggy blurbs, classroom ideas, resource links, freebies, photos, and total randomness (in a way that is somewhat organized)! Most will be short and sweet, unlike this one, so check in often!


I'll be writing these here bloggy blurbs in ABC order beginning today with ideas for teaching the alphabet. It's my simple solution to help improve letter recognition, letter sounds and phonemic awareness. The crucial foundational skills for literacy. Since many of you have followed me over here from my First Grade Gallery blog, you may be able to use some of these ideas with your Kinders or incoming Firsties! My upper grades teacher friends, there will be good ideas for your classroom here too!


Flashback Time
Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I found myself new to teaching a half-day Kindergarten. There was no specific curriculum map for me to follow, imagine that! We did have Tonka trucks for play time, wooden blocks, some bear math counters and silly looking BLOW UP letter people dolls that came with corny songs on cassette tape. Maybe you remember them from your Kindergarten days? :)

I quickly realized that it was up to me to develop a plan of action for getting my Kinders ready to read  that went beyond the letter people! 
My plan started with one simple, cheap and highly effective tool. Alphabet FLASHCARDS! 

 We started each morning with alphabet/ letter sound drills. Normally I'm not a big fan of flash carding students to death, however, we did all of these drills orally during carpet time so they were excited to join in.  My flashcard set displayed both the upper and lower case letter with a corresponding picture clue.

 Here is the chant:
We say the letter name shown on the card (A).
If the letter is a vowel, we name it long or short. (Long A)
We bounce twice on the sound and say the name of the picture clue (A, A acorn (repeat) A, A acorn).

 How easy is that? And it works like magic.
In no time, my students were articulating their sounds correctly and they had all of their letters/sounds mastered with picture clues stamped forever in their young minds!

 Times have changed, curriculums are more rigorous, we have access to fantastic resources and all of that good stuff! No matter how teaching strategies change or improve, there is something to be said for good old repetition!

For some other super literacy ideas, you may want to visit Reading Rockets!
 I LOVE that site!

Dusting off the Cobwebs
I have an entire folder called WORK IN PROGRESS on my desktop. 
 I'll be digging out some of my half-finished files little by little and polishing them up to share with you as I go! 

Here is a freebie flash card set I finally got around to! 


 Just click on the image to download a copy if you like.
I've included picture clues for both long and short vowels which are hard to find in a flash card set.
Hope you can use it with your class, intervention group or even your own children!
 I'd love to hear from you if you do download it! Comments and feedback always make my day.

 By the way, Lovin' Lit has some great freebie flash card/task card templates. 
You can use them to make your own cards for anything you are studying.

Next up~ Letter A
Join me next time (between linkys) for a post on bloggy blurbs for things that begin with A. Off the top, what comes to mind is Accelerated Reader, art supplies, and a chance to meet a special cutie pie who's name begins with A. Who knows what I might dig up! 
You may find some cute project ideas, resources and more freebies for each new letter to follow. 
Hope to see you back!

Have a happy day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...